Monday, February 19, 2007

Grandmère Mimi's Red Beans and Rice

The one, the original:

"1 pound of CAMELLIA red beans
1 ham steak cut into chunks
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 whole bay leaf
Chopped parsley, whatever amount looks right when you throw it in the pot - 1 tbsp, 2tbsp, who knows?
Salt and pepper to taste
Several dashes of Tabasco Sauce - maybe 5 or 6 or more - who counts?
10 cups of water, or whatever looks right in the pot.

Bring to boil and cook on low heat for 2 hours or until beans are soft, but not falling apart and turning into mush, stirring and adding water, if needed. Serve over cooked rice of your choice. We're not picky about the rice brand.

In the ancient days of yore, before we worried about cholesterol and clogged arteries, I used ham bones or ham hocks with meat (and lots of fat) left on them. As a bow to healthy eating and lower fat content, I switched to ham steaks, which are leaner than the bones and the hocks. I confess that you pay a price in taste. That old cooking was all about fat, and that's part of what made it delicious. "

As posted by Grandmère Mimi herself on Mad Priest's website in December 2006...She also notes: "Oh, and it's a Monday dish. Monday was wash day, an all-day affair in the olden times, and you could put the beans on and let them simmer while you did your wash. Tradition, as those of us in the Anglican Communion well know, is everything."

All very well and good, but don't the beans get the clothes all smudgey?

I am working on a vegetarian version for Fridays.

3 comments:

June Butler said...

Aghaveagh, I'm so glad you posted this. I did not make a copy of the recipe when I wrote it and posted it in the comments at MadPriest's place. Thanks for this. I will add it to the copy of your song in the event someone wants it again.

When does the recording of your song come out? It's sure to be a hit. I see MP has posted the lyrics on the sidebar of his blog.

My dear, your name is hard to spell. I had to try three times.

Aghaveagh said...

Oops--I have put an accent aigu instead of an accent grave on your name...I will fix it tout de suite.

As for the song, it needs music. I was thinking of "Soup of the Evening, Beautiful Soup" when I wrote it, so I had no tune in mind.

I am sorry about my name--sometimes even I can't spell it. Blame the Irish.

Anonymous said...

How to veg that recipe up:

Omit ham. Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil of your choice.

If you still want the cured flavor, add about a shotglass full of liquid amino acids (or soy sauce, if you don't have aminos around).