Friday, December 7, 2007

Diocesan Convention, Day one

The first day of convention consisted mainly of procedural matters.

I attended the Eucharist that opened convention this morning at St. James Cathedral. It has been a year since I attended mass here. I felt a certain sadness because we used to attend here regularly until we felt we could no longer do so in good conscience.

It was certainly awesome in its ceremony! Three pointy hats, dozens of priests and deacons, pomp and pageantry, glorious music and wonderful sung liturgy. There was nothing liturgically here that I did not agree with--why am I not orthodox in their eyes?

The Bishop of Bolivia, the Right Reverend Frank Lyons, gave the sermon. In essence, he said that we are on a journey, and that it may not always be comfortable. In fact, although we may wish for a comfortable Jesus who shows up in the morning to give us tea, this is not the case. It's scary stuff.

In the afternoon, we heard the Bishop's address. Rather than giving you my paraphrase, here is a link to the text of the speech.

I will blog more tomorow. I am exhausted in body and soul.

3 comments:

Kirstin said...

God keep you, aghaveagh.

Many people are holding you all before God.

June Butler said...

Agha, my prayers are with you and the rest of the faithful remnant, the Remain Episcopal, and the 12 courageous priests who said, "No," to leaving. I love the symbolic number 12 of the faithful priests.

May God bless you and keep you.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Avie, you are in my prayers tonight--as you have been all day. I can only imagine how weary you must be. Tell Grendel I said to give you extra love tonight--you have been a good and faithful servant.

Love,
Doxy