Saturday, August 8, 2009

What book would you waltz with?

I've been catching up on my blog reading--I've been away from it for too long and since I have a Saturday at leisure I am "backreading" one of my favorite blogs: Grandmère Mimi's Wounded Bird. I started at the beginning of March so I can work up to her epic Big Trip to See Mad Priest. (Yes, it's been that long....) It may take a while because it's all so good and she sends you off on such interesting sidetrips (for example, Oyster's post about his Unfortunate Incident.) In As I Further Reread Gilead, Grandmère quotes from Gilead by Marilynne Robinson:

The Reverend has a bad heart.

So I decided a little waltzing would be very good, and it was. I plan to do all my waltzing here in the study. I have thought I might have a book ready at hand to clutch if I began to experience unusual pain, so that it would have an especial recommendation from being found in my hands. That seemed theatrical, on consideration, and it might have the perverse effect of burdening the book with unpleasant associations. The ones I considered, by the way, were Donne and Herbert and Barth's "Epistle to the Romans" and Volume II of Calvin's "Institutes". Which is by no means to slight Volume I. p. 115.


It got me to thinking: what book would you waltz with?

No comments: